HOW TO APPLY
The Sparrow Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency is a three-year program. We participate in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) for PGY-1 match positions. We welcome allopathic and osteopathic applicants. In order to apply, you must have completed the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) Step 1 or Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination of the United States Step 1 (COMLEX).
The ERAS application:
- Personal statement
- Dean’s letter
- Medical school transcript
- Results of USMLE/COMPLEX Step 1 and Step 2, if available. We do not have specific cut-off scores for application consideration
- Three letters of recommendation: We require that one be from an emergency medicine physician. We accept the Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors (CORD) Standardized Letter of Evaluation (SLOE).
International medical graduate (IMG) applications must include:
- A copy of your ECFMG certification
- At least three letters of recommendation
- The hospital DOES accept J-1 visas. It does NOT accept H1B visas.
DEADLINES AND INTERVIEW SCHEDULING
Our formal application deadline for submitting applications is November 1st. Interviews will be offered to applicants with completed applications starting in the first week of October. We do not offer interviews before October. Interview offers are sent via e-mail through ERAS. Interviews are held on Wednesdays between October and February.
Your interview experience with our residency program will begin the evening before your interview day, with an invitation for a casual reception and dinner with current residents. The interview day starts with a brief presentation of our program, four individual interviews with faculty/chief residents followed by lunch with the residents, and a tour of Sparrow Hospital.