Updated Information Regarding Modification to our Traditional Application Process due to COVID-19
Regarding the 2020-2021 Emergency Medicine Residency Match, The Sparrow Hospital EM Residency Program will be following guidelines and recommendations based upon the Consensus Statement on the 2020-2021 Residency Application Process for US Medical Students Planning Careers in Emergency Medicine in the Main Residency Match.
As outlined in this statement:
1. Only one Standardized Letter of Evaluation (SLOE) will be expected from each applicant. Multiple SLOEs from a single rotation will be discouraged. While more than one SLOE is not what we seek, should additional EM rotations occur and multiple SLOEs be written, these will be accepted, however these students will not be viewed more favorably than those with a single SLOE.
2. A greater emphasis and weight will be placed this particular year on the non-Emergency Medicine rotation Letters of Recommendation. These will include letters from non-EM rotations, subspecialty EM experiences, or from EM mentors with whom an applicant has a unique and ongoing professional relationship with. We encourage you to obtain these letters from physician who are able to comment on both your clinical skills and the particular personal attributes you possess that strengthen your overall application.
3. All EM residency interviews at Sparrow Hospital will be conducted virtually for the 2020-2021 application year. Applicants will be expected to submit their application via ERAS as previously with virtual interviews beginning in early November until late January.
4. Second look, on site visits, will not be encouraged this year as this may raise both safety concerns in addition to introducing bias towards particular students and producing unnecessary pressures on applicants.
This is a unique and unprecendented period of time in which you have all been placed. While certainly not ideal, we are looking forward to speaking with each of you during a personal virtual interview towards the end of fall/early winter and are confident that both you as applicants, and the Sparrow EM residency leadership, will be successful in matching an incredible 2021 Emergency Medicine residency first year class. We look forward to receiving and reviewing your ERAS application. Please see additional information below on how to apply, applicant requirements, and dates to be aware of.
Dr. Kristen Owen,
HOW TO APPLY
The Sparrow Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency is a three-year program. We participate in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) for PGY-1 match positions. We welcome allopathic and osteopathic applicants. In order to apply, you must have completed the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) Step 1 or Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination of the United States Step 1 (COMLEX).
The ERAS application:
- Personal statement
- Dean’s letter
- Medical school transcript
- Results of USMLE/COMPLEX Step 1 and Step 2, if available. We do not have specific cut-off scores for application consideration
- Three letters of recommendation: We require that one be from an emergency medicine physician. We accept the Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors (CORD) Standardized Letter of Evaluation (SLOE) and encourage one SLOE to be submitted for the 2020-2021 year.
International medical graduate (IMG) applications must include:
- A copy of your ECFMG certification
- At least three letters of recommendation
- The hospital DOES accept J-1 visas. It does NOT accept H1B visas.
DEADLINES AND INTERVIEW SCHEDULING
Our formal application deadline for submitting applications is November 1st. Interviews will be offered to applicants with completed applications starting in the first week of October. We do not offer interviews before October. Interview offers are sent via e-mail through ERAS. Dates of interviews will be announced and all occurring virtually for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Click Here for Information on our Weekly Social Mixer Sessions where you can get to know our current residents, play some trivia, and be eligible for weekly prizes- Begins August 5th!!!